Have some of those old film canisters lying around? Send them off with style with this backyard ballistic favorite! Be careful, these little rockets can make a lot of noise and shoot really far!
AgePreschool, School-age, Tweens, Teens
Number of Players10 to 20, As many as you can handle!
Prep Time5 - 10 minutes
Time Length15 - 30 minutes
DifficultyEasy peasy (fun and simple)
Space NeededMedium (a clearable open space the size of a 2-car garage)
Mess FactorGet the push brooms
1. Provide each child with a film canister and lid.
2. Pass out a piece of Alka Seltzer to drop in each canister.
How to Play
1. Place a tab of Alka Seltzer in each canister.
2. Add a few drops of water.
3. Place the lids back on the canisters.
4. Wait... wait... wait ( you can count the seconds that pass if you want).
5. Suddenly the lid will pop off just like a rocket! Watch how high it will go!
1. It is very important that children conduct this activity carefully and harmlessly. The lids to the canisters really do fly off with quite a lot of velocity so children must make sure to keep enough distance in between themselves.
2. The containers should never be pointed at someone, but rather straight up and down.
3. Also, make sure to hold the canister out in front of you, away from your face.