Have you ever tested the extremes of your face? What crazy shapes can you make with your mouth? Can you move your eyebrows separately? Can you make a tube with your tongue or turn it over so it’s upside down? This activity if perfect for one of those lonely afternoons when no one is around to play. Who knows -- you may even discover a hidden talent like wiggling your ears! Watch out, Jim Carey!
AgePreschool, School-age, Tweens, Teens
Number of Players1
Prep TimeNo prep time needed!
Time Length5 - 15 minutes
DifficultyEasy peasy (fun and simple)
Space NeededSmall (a clearable open space the size of a 1-car garage)
Mess FactorClean and tidy
Find yourself a good mirror where you can sit or stand comfortably.
How to Play
There really are no rules with this activity, other than getting creative with your face! The object is to test the extremes of your facial abilities. Start with something simple, like sticking out your tongue. How far can you make it come out? Can you touch your nose with the tip of your tongue? Can you touch your cheek? Can you make your tongue circle around from your nose to your cheek to your chin and back up to your nose? What about your lips? Can you make them stick out really far? Can you suck them in under your teeth. Take the time to explore each feature and what it can do.
1. Use your fingers to hold different parts of your face in different positions. Pull up the tip of your nose to make a pig snout, gently pull the skin under your neck - do you look like a lizard? Remember to always be gentle with your face.
2. Try making different noises to go with your facial changes.
3. Give yourself a challenge, like trying to cock one eyebrow. Practice this until you have mastered it.
2. Start at the top of your head and work your way down. What can you do with your forehead? How high can you raise your eyebrows? Can you pull your eyebrows into the center of your face and make them touch? Can you cross your eyes? The thing here is to have fun and explore just exactly what the muscles of your face can do.
3. Don’t get frustrated, not every face can do everything. There are some people who can make their tongues fold into a “W” shape -- but not everyone can. Some things that are easy for one person are physically impossible for another -- the object here is not to compete, but to find out what funny things you can do!