Have you ever seen soap turn into white puffy mountain? I’m not talking about a bubble bath here, I mean an actual bar of soap transforming into a big fluffy white cloud! Try experimenting with the Soap Mountain Activity to see your soap grow.
AgePreschool, School-age, Tweens, Teens
Number of PlayersAs many as you can handle!
Prep Time5 - 10 minutes
Time Length5 minutes or less
DifficultyEasy peasy (fun and simple)
Space NeededSmall (a clearable open space the size of a 1-car garage)
1. Break a bar of Ivory Soap into pieces.
2. Place the pieces on a microwaveable plate.
3. Continue to break the pieces down on the plate to get them as small as possible.
How to Play
4. Now go ahead and put the plate in the microwave on high for 1 minute… don’t take your eyes off the microwave!
5. When you take the plate out of the microwave, wait a few moments for the Soap Mountain to cool before touching it.
Be sure to clean the microwave well afterward -- otherwise your food will taste like soap!
What happened? White, puffy mounds! If you want, try this experiment with a different brand of soap… does the same surprise happen? Ivory Soap is a special type of soap that has air whipped into its mixture. The mixed-in air is what allows the soap to bubble up in to white, puffy, fluffy, mounds.