Here's a great way to get folks up close and personal on a chilly fall night. Partners must hold an apple between their foreheads as they dance to a variety of musical styles. The DJ can really liven things up by switching the types of music rapidly, or soften it by playing one continuous song. You set the mood to fit your event.
AgeSchool-age, Tweens, Teens, Adults
Number of Players3 to 4, 5 to 10, 10 to 20, 20+, As many as you can handle!
Team DivisionBuddy up (pairs of two)
CompetitivenessEither/or (can be played either way)
DifficultyEasy peasy (fun and simple)
Indoor or OutdoorEither
Space NeededMedium (a clearable open space the size of a 2-car garage), Large (gym, outdoor field, reception hall)
Mess FactorClean and tidy
Prep TimeNo prep time needed!
Game Time Length5 minutes or less
1. Assign a "DJ" and set up station for playing music.
2. Have everyone find a partner and spread out in the playing area.
3. Hand an apple (or balloon) to each couple.
How to Play
1. Have each couple place the apple (or balloon) between their foreheads as securely as they can.
2. Without letting the apple fall, have the couples join hands.
3. Have the DJ begin playing music.
4. Couples must begin to dance to the style of music being played, i.e., if it's classical they should waltz, or sway, if it's pop they should shimmy and shake, if it's 50s they should twist...
5. Couples must keep the apple between their foreheads without letting the apple fall. If it does fall they can pick the apple up, replace it, and begin again.
6. Play continues with the music changing styles for about 3 minutes or so... or until everyone seems tired from the effort!
1. To make the game competitive, eliminate couples as they drop their apples.
2. Don't switch the music, just choose one song and have couples dance from beginning to end.
3. Use any other round object: ball, clean rolled-up socks, stuffed animal, toilet paper roll... anything that can be squeezed between two heads.
4. Theme your music and object. Do the "Monster Mash" with ping pong balls colored like eyeballs; play some jungle music and use a banana, try a pirate song and a sponge (for swabbing the deck, of course!).
1. Safety first. Never use anything sharp or breakable as your "apple".