A variation of musical chairs, Musical Squeeze starts with every kids having their own Hula Hoop, but as the game progresses they're taken away one by one. The challenge comes in when the players have to squeeze together into hula hoops!
AgePreschool, School-age, Tweens, Teens
Number of Players5 to 10, 10 to 20, 20+
Team DivisionAll together now! (everyone works together)
DifficultyEasy peasy (fun and simple)
Indoor or OutdoorEither
Space NeededMedium (a clearable open space the size of a 2-car garage)
Mess FactorClean and tidy
Prep TimeNo prep time needed!
Game Time Length5 - 15 minutes
1. Spread out the Hula Hoops in the play area.
2. One child should stand in each Hula Hoop to start the game.
3. Select someone to be in charge of turning the music on and off. This person will be the "Game Leader."
How to Play
1. Once the music begins, the children come out of their hula hoops and dance around.
2. They should move around as much as possible, away from the hula hoops. No lingering to be sneaky... dance and be free, little ones!
3. While they are dancing, the game leader will remove one hula hoop.
4. When the music stops, everyone must run and jump inside a hula hoop.
5. Since the players will be 1 hula hoop short, the extra person will have to squeeze in with somebody else.
6. Again, the music will continue, the players begin dancing, and 1 more hula hoop is taken away.
7. When the music stops, all players must find a hula hoop, squeezing together if they have to.
8. As the game continues, fewer and fewer hula hoops will be around and more and more squeezing happens. Eventually, there will be one hula hoop with everyone inside!
1. You can play traditional Musical Chairs with hula hoops as well.
2. Keep the rules of Musical Squeeze, but change the name of the game to match your theme:
"Bunny Hole": each player is a bunny hopping around. When the music stops they must squeeze into a hole
"Cloud Hopping": each player dances around in the sky. When the music stops they must find a cloud to rest.
"Island Hopping": each player is on vacation swimming (or dancing) around the islands, but when the music stops (night time comes) they need an island for shelter.
"Musical Flowers": butterflies flutter around while music is playing, but once it stops they need to land on a flower.
3. You can also play this game with items other than hula hoops:
"Musical Sleeping Bags": at a slumber party, use sleeping bags instead. When the music stops everyone needs at least one body part inside a sleeping bag.
"Towel Hopping": maybe at a beach party, use towels instead.