In this blindfolded relay race, players must use their abilities of touch and sound to find their missing shoes. The more the merrier in this wild scramble. Great as an icebreaker or end to an event where everyone has removed their shoes.
AgeSchool-age, Tweens, Teens, Adults
Number of Players5 to 10, 10 to 20, 20+
Team DivisionTeamwork! (divide into teams)
CompetitivenessEither/or (can be played either way)
DifficultyEasy peasy (fun and simple)
Indoor or OutdoorEither
Space NeededMedium (a clearable open space the size of a 2-car garage), Large (gym, outdoor field, reception hall)
Mess FactorClean and tidy
Prep Time5 minutes or less
Game Time Length15 - 30 minutes
1. Have every player remove their shoes and place them in a big pile. Mix the pile up so none of the shoes are together.
2. Break kids into even teams and line them up about 10 to 15 feet from the shoe pile. Depending on your space & number of teams you can line teams up in the following manner -
A. like points on a compass
B. like hours on a clock
C. divided on two sides of the playing field
D. on one side of the playing field
3. Give each team a blindfold.
How to Play
1. Blindfold the first player from each team.
2. On "go", the blindfolded player crawls toward the pile of shoes - with team members shouting encouragement and directions.
3. Upon arriving at the pile, the blindfolded player searches for their own shoes AND puts them on correctly.
4. Once they have placed the shoes on their feet they may remove the blindfold. If they are wearing the wrong shoes they must replace the blindfold, take off the shoes, and begin their search again.
5. If the shoes are correct the player runs back to their team (with the blindfold off) and passes the blindfold to the next player.
6. Play continues until each team member has their own shoes on their own feet. The team that does this the quickest is declared the winner.
1. Instead of shoes try using jackets for a winter party.
1. Make sure you have someone at the shoe pile mixing and remixing the shoes.
2. Make sure none of the players gets too rough at the shoe pile, pushing is not allowed, nor is tossing unwanted shoes.
Can be used to exercise observation, sense memory, and comparison by touch.