Everyone gets a little giggly around water balloons. The excitement of popping them and getting wet makes even the simplest games exhilarating. Water Balloon Toss involves nothing more than tossing a water balloon back and forth with increased distance and - it's a total blast.
AgePreschool, School-age, Tweens, Teens, Adults
Number of Players2, 3 to 4, 5 to 10, 10 to 20, 20+
Team DivisionBuddy up (pairs of two)
CompetitivenessEither/or (can be played either way)
DifficultyAttention, please! (a few rules to follow)
Indoor or OutdoorOutdoors
Space NeededLarge (gym, outdoor field, reception hall)
Mess FactorGet the push brooms
Prep Time20 minutes or more
Game Time Length5 - 15 minutes
1. Pre-fill multiple water balloons. At least a few per pair.
2. Divide the group into pairs.
3. Set bucket of water balloons where each team leader has easy access.
4. Line the first pair up, facing each other, with about 3 feet in between them, Subsequent pairs should line up shoulder to shoulder with this pair. The end result is two lines of players with an alley between them.
How to Play
1. The team leader hands out water to balloons to one player (A) per pair.
2. On "Go" - "A" tosses the water balloon to their partner (B).
3. "B" does their best to catch the balloon without popping it.
4. If the balloon stays intact, "B" tosses the water balloon back to "A".
5. Once "A" catches the water balloon, both "A" and "B" takes a step back from each other.
6. Play continues in this manner.
7. IF at any point the balloon breaks, the pair is out.
8. Play to see how which team can last the longest and throw the farthest.
1. Supply each team with a small bucket of 4 water balloons each. Once they have used up their bucket they are out. See which pair can get the farthest apart using the least balloons.
When the game is over, have a contest to see who can pick up the most broken balloon pieces. The winner gets a prize, maybe even a bag of water balloons. Not only have you now played another game, but the clean up was easy!